Kingswood traces its beginnings to 1869 when Methodists in the community of Rural Hall began meeting in private homes for Bible study and worship.
The first church building (constructed in 1893) was a white wooden structure consisting of a sanctuary, two small classrooms to either side of the pulpit area, two classrooms on the front side of the sanctuary, and one classroom on the second level. The building stood on Highway 65 West at the present site of St. James United Methodist Church. The lot was donated by the B.L. Bitting family.
Construction of a brick building (now St. James UMC) was started after demolition of the wooden church in 1949 and, with all bills paid, was dedicated in 1954. During construction, services were held at Rural Hall School.
In 1969, Rural Hall Methodist Church and Stanleyville United Methodist Church merged and took the name “Kingswood.” We moved into our present building in 1973. A two-story addition was completed in 1990, providing added classroom space.